Health and wellness coaching is defined as a partnership where the health coach assists the client in gaining the knowledge, skills, tools, and confidence to become an active participant in their care and recovery so that they can reach their self-identified health goals and maintain them long-term.
What does a health coach do?A qualified coach helps in may ways.
- Uncovering the blocks that cause the illness in the first place – It's a well-known fact that stress causes illness. Unfortunately, illness also causes stress. Even though the body has broken down to the point of manifesting illness, it's not too late to uncover the blocks that caused the illness and are in the way of recovery. This is an essential step toward achieving recovery.
- Coaches help to bridge the gap between the physician and the patient – Too often doctors and other healthcare providers are limited in the amount of time they have to spend with patients often leaving the patient bewildered and confused. A qualified coach can help sort out this confusion and assist the patient in making informed decisions regarding their medical care. The coach can serve as a liaison helping to ensure that the client is making well-informed decisions.
- Assist with the emotional impact of chronic illness – Being diagnosed with a chronic condition can leave you feeling devastated and completely lost. A qualified coach will assist in sorting through these feelings with compassion and concern while remaining unbiased, meaning keeping the client’s well-being the main focus. A coach will help to instill a sense of control creating a more empowered patient.
- Assist in exploring all available treatments – A qualified coach will help explore options such as nutrition, exercise, alternative therapies, and mind-body work; basically anything and everything that may help and not do further harm.
- Maintaining Stability – There are many, many moving parts while dealing with a chronic condition. A coach will help to keep the client on track thus improving the chances for recovery.
- Promoting behavioral changes – Behavioral changes are one of the most important components to ensuring recovery. A great coach will assist the client in setting the proper mindset especially in the following areas:
- prior to and following surgical procedures
- mind-body medicine
- coping with relationships
- coping with work challenges
- managing the household
- ...and much, much more.
Are you ready to get started? Or maybe you need more information. Contact me today by clicking here and filling out the form to learn more.
Studies by the medical community show those patients who work with a health and wellness coach advance up to 50% better than those who don’t.